Sunday, April 08, 2012
Recipe: Roasted Red Pepper & Walnut Hummus
Sunday, April 08, 2012
Hummus and its numerous variants are excellent staples for dysphagic people. It's protein, it's smooth, it's pretty damn yummy, and you can add a generous whiff of vegetable oil to supplement your daily fat income. And it also comes in various shapes and colours: like my sweet potato & coconut milk hummus or my eggplant, walnut & coconut milk baba ganoush, except I usually ditch the lemon juice because it's way too acidic for my poor oesophagus and the tahini is often replaced by other nuts. This week's oriental-inspired dip is halfway between a conventional hummus and a muhammara, a Syrian hot red pepper dip: a roasted red pepper & walnut hummus. It was of course heavily inspired by Yasmeen's own genuine muhammara, and it's a definite must-eat, especially with grilled meats (lamb) or fish, although it works wonders with pita bread too. Follow my lead!
Roasted Red Pepper & Walnut Hummus
2 big red bell peppers
200 gr of chick peas
50 gr of walnuts
about 3 cL of walnut oil
10 gr of freshly grated ginger
1 cL of olive oil & an extra handful of walnuts for garnish
a pinch of Cayenne pepper
a pinch of salt
1. Cut the two peppers lengthwise, get rid of the seeds and roast in the oven at 200°C for about 35 to 40 minutes (the skin should be blackened and easily peel off).
2. Wrap the roasted red peppers in tin foil and leave to cool for an extra hour.
3. Combine the chick peas, the walnuts, the red peppers, the salt and the cayenne pepper in a food processor. Mix for about two minutes until smooth, adding the walnut oil as you go to get a slightly creamy and soft texture.
4. Pour the dip in a bowl and fold in freshly grated ginger and a few oregano leaves.
5. Leave to cool in the fridge for an hour, then garnish with a pinch of Cayenne pepper, a whiff of olive oil and oregano. Best eaten with warm pita bread.
Oh and, a little Easter fun. Guess what I found on my work keyboard first thing on Friday morning?
My job is awesome.
- Restaurant: CPP 
- Recipe: Semi-Cooked Fennel, Anise, Fleur de Sel an...
- Recipe: Avocado Hummus
- Tea Room: Karl 
- Event: Eco'Vie
- Recipe: Roasted Red Pepper & Walnut Hummus
- Event: Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux 2011 Prim...
- Recipe: Ginger & Chive Sweet Potato Mash
- Tea Room: Le Caillou du Jardin Botanique
- ▼ April (10)